
Front porch sitters unite, this is one cause I could believe in and support. It is a growing movement of people who are trying to return to a more traditional way. Turning off the television, moving outdoors to a common area, to get to know the people who lightly grace our lives each day. I had a front porch while growing up in Ohio, though I can not say it was fully utilized. There were moments spent playing cards with the neighborhood friends, Dad and I would sit out there and philosophize. People it seems are busier, more caught up in the dailies of life. We have succumbed to the comfortable boxes hanging outside a window, and Monday night football games, and forgotten about the other world right off the front steps. Transience has replaced permanence. There is little time it seems to become invested in our neighbors lives, though I think if we did reach out a bit, we wouldn't have some of the problems that isolation brings forth. The motto of a front porch sitter is "Sit down for a spell. That can wait." I have a front porch, which until a few weeks ago was partially uninhabitable, but due to some new paint, and front porch furniture it is quite welcoming. Won't you join me in becoming a front porch sitter. Meet me on the front porch, you bring the conversation, and I'll provide the lemonade, and together we can, "Sit down for a spell." Life can wait, because people are more important.
1 comment:
Makes me remember when Ralph and Shirley would sit in the garage with the door up and just watch the neighborhood.
I miss those days of trusting your and knowing your neighbors. Maybe someday we can get back to that!
Love you,
Heather
Post a Comment