Sunday, January 20, 2008

Letters


"Letter writing is the only device for combining solitude with good company." Lord Byron
I love letters, I love receiving them, and I love sending them even more! I have spent many an hour searching for the perfect card for someone to receive. I look at the texture of the paper, and if the card contains a seal. I make sure the wording on the card fits the person or circumstance, and will be true in my expression of encouragement or love for them. I find that when I sit down to write to someone, the actual act offers me time to focus on that person, to pray for them as I write, and to appreciate them in those moments. Several years ago, I took to heart the words of a wise pastor who during a message presented a challenge to his congregation....a challenge to write to someone and thank them for the difference they have made in your life. I took that challenge to heart, and what a difference it has made in my relationships with others. Letters and words carry permanence, they can have a lasting impact on others. I have sent several letters in the past couple years letting people know the role they have played in my life......some letters asking for forgiveness. I try to fill my letters with encouragement, and gratitude. The best examples of letter writing to me can be found in the New Testament writings of Paul. God's word, the Bible.......is a compilation of letters written over several thousands years by many different authors, all pointing to the same story. Those letters written especially in the New Testament constantly offer me encouragement, challenge and inspire me. I have found comfort in the words, the texture of the paper between my fingers. So my challenge is to write a letter that will change someone's day, offer some forgiveness, or say thank you. Keep your eye on the mail, you just might find a letter filled with encouragement, and gratitude.

No comments: