Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Many times

I have heard this song a gazillion times over the years, I love Tracy Chapman.  I remember when the video for Fast Cars began playing out on everyone's television, thanks to MTV.  Prior to kids, when John and I were able to come and go as we please, we sat in a field in Shelburne, Vermont waiting in the rain for you guessed it...Tracy Chapman.  She was amazing, opening the concert by walking out with only a guitar, singing Say Hallelujah.  Her songs are captivating, and meaningful, especially now.  A sister of an old friend from high school recently passed, bringing close to my mind thoughts of mortality, and youth.  She was young, 41 when she passed, the cause unknown to me.  She was a senior when I was a lowly freshman starting in band.  The news of her death brought memories back from that particular time in my history.  Memories of jelly shoes, and shoulder pads, Men at Work, and hot summers practicing at band camp.  Those days were laiden with ambivalence, and timelessness, and few worries.
My small family of 4 sat the other night listening to Pandora while we ate dinner, and on came Tracy Chapman.  This song, quiet and meaningful began to play, and I as listened to the words, really listened, I fell in love with the lyrics.  It resonanted with me, in light of the news of my friend's loss, losing her only sibling, her sister.  I prayed for her, and will continue to do so.  Having only one sibling myself, a sister, I would want and need those prayers.  Thank you MTV for introducing me to the girl with dreadlocks, and a daschund..........

2 comments:

Offset said...

Funny how songs can do that...

Sharina said...

Music brings healing when heard in love!! I'm only 26 and blessed to have made it this far. Coming from Detroit where people told me I'd be lucky to see the age of 18 I cherish each breath. Time is the one thing we can't be back so we must make the most of it while we are allowed the chance!!! Thanks for the blog!!! Wonderful to know real people are going through real things ♥ Be Blessed!!! ♥ :o)