Finally we are coming to the end, closing the wardrobe doors on The Chronicles of Narnia. This was our Christmas present to our boys last year, we have done a lot of reading to ourselves and each other. Judging from postings on Facebook and Twitter, and the constant texting I see going on around, I am judging that most of America is reading these days. And so in this age of cell phones and Google, I hope a Christmas letter is still a welcome addition to the mailbox. Along with the wardrobe doors, another year is fast coming to a close, and I have to say I look forward to 2012 with some mixed feelings. Elijah is now in first grade (LOVING it), but now his growth is more exaggerated by grades, and 2012 means second grade, and Gabriel entering kindergarten (I am not sure my heart can handle it)
2012 also means I will be “40”, not too sure how I feel about that either. 2011 has been good to us, and we to it. John donated his appendix in May after suffering from what I thought was “constipation” pains. My husband sold his Frankenstein vehicle, the VW wagon, that he spent most of the winter reconstructing, and then shouted in the spring, “It is alivvvveee”. I will say John has given a lot this year.
We have added 2 more mouths to feed to our monthly budget. Two laying hens, Reba our dominant orange, yellowish Americauna, and her counterpart Taylor Swift, a black and white accomplice. We are now seeing the fruits of their labor.
John spent the summer painting, and putting the finishing touches on our house. It has gone from a dirty white aluminum to a sagey green, with orange accents. We love it!
Our 10th anniversary (say it isn't so), came and went in June, with a getaway trip to Mackinaw Island near the upper peninsula in Michigan (thank you Grandma Cindy, and Grandpa Gary). We had a great time reconnecting, and seeing a new part of the country.
We have had the privilege to attend two great concerts of our favorite artists JJ Heller and Leeland, both of which encouraged, and convicted.
I was given a great book by Ann Voskamp, titled One Thousand Simple Gifts (thank you Lisa). The book is written around the definition of eucharisteo, embracing those things we are thankful for. This book has been on my mental radar this year, challenging me to be thankful in spite of circumstances. I love Christmas, and all that it entails, and yet I let frivolous details, and burdens take on a life of their own. Ann Voskamp says, that “Whenever Christmas begins to burden, it's a sign that I've taken on something of the world and not of Christ...Christmas cannot be bought, Christmas cannot be created. Christmas cannot be made by hand, it can only be found.” This holiday originated in a simple dirty manure filled stall, on a cold night, “the hinge of history swung on the door of a stable.” “Jesus did not enter to vaulted domes, or marbled floors, He isn't antiseptic, carefully avoiding dirt, grime and stink. He intentionally decided to clothe himself as a naked baby and birth his virgin skin onto a mucking bed for animals...God chose a barn as His entry point. “ I want to rediscover for myself and my family what is simple and magnificent about the Saviour of the World coming to earth, putting on flesh and saving my life. My intent in this age of Google and Facebook, is to send a Christmas letter to remind us that we must marvel that Jesus came, just like God said he would, and He split history in two, forever transforming the concepts of hope and peace and salvation. I need this reminder, that Christmas is more than frenzied lists, tree lights, and gingerbread cookies. “Christmas is not a date, it is a state of mind, and heart” Where is your heart this season? For Jesus did not come to be served, but to serve and give His life as a ransom for many. We are thankful for you this year, for each other, and for our faith in an unseen God. We know that God has great purposes and meaning for your life...............and we know that wise men still seek Him!
Merry Christmas
John, Jenni, Elijah, Gabe, Chubby, Greta, Reba
and Taylor
2 comments:
You are such a good writer. So good to catch up with your family.
I was just thinking about you guys the other day and remembered that you had a blog! Love seeing the pic of your family! You and John look JUST the same, and it's so hard to believe that Elijah is in 1st grade already. Lots of love to you all.
Susan
Post a Comment